April 27, 2012
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Departing from campus for the first time since early April, Notre Dame will travel to Providence this weekend (April 28-29) for a three-game BIG EAST Conference softball series.
Winners of eight straight and each of their last five league matchups, the Irish are coming off an 11-game homestand at Melissa Cook Stadium in which they posted a 9-1 record. Notre Dame sits third in the BIG EAST standings with a 10-3 record against league foes as Providence has dropped 13 of its last 15 contests and sports a 6-9 record in league play.
Live stats for each of this weekend’s contests will be available at UND.com. Fans are also encouraged to follow the action on Twitter (@NDsoftball, @NDcoachGumpf, @NDsidJorge) or sign up for Irish Alert text message updates at UND.com.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
(29-13 overall, 10-3 BIG EAST)
[und.com – bigeast.org]
(15-31 overall, 6-9 BIG EAST)
[friars.com – bigeast.org]
Saturday, April 28 – Noon (ET)
Saturday, April 28 – 2:00 p.m. (ET)
Sunday, April 29 – Noon (ET)
Raymond Field – Providence, R.I.
Series record: Notre Dame leads, 33-2 (29-2 BIG EAST)
Series streak: Notre Dame, W7
First meeting: April 4, 1996 – Notre Dame, 4-0
Last meeting: May 12, 2011 – Notre Dame, 6-4 (BIG EAST Championship)
Last Providence win: April 26, 2008 – Providence, 5-3
Notre Dame’s record at Providence – 15-1
– Notre Dame finished its most recent 11-game homestand with a 9-2 record and has won each of its last eight contests … the Irish have posted a pair of winning streaks of at least eight games this season.
– While ranked second among BIG EAST teams with a .274 team batting avg. in league play, only Amy Buntin (.349) represents Notre Dame in the top-10 individual list … Laura Winter is second among BIG EAST pitchers with a 1.16 ERA while boasting a 9-2 record against BIG EAST opponents.
– Winter fired home her second career no-hitter with a 3-0 silencing of DePaul (April 21) as the Irish would go on to sweep DePaul for the first time since 2006 … Winter was named BIG EAST Pitcher of the Week (April 23) for her efforts … on the week, Winter earned four wins – including three over DePaul – and boasted a streak of 19.1 scoreless innings from the circle in four appearances … Winter held DePaul to one earned run in 20.2 innings of action and fanned 22 batters on the week while issuing only one walk … now with a 20-8 record, Winter is the 18th pitcher in program history to record at least 20 wins in a single season.
– Dani Miller has homered in each of the last three games – and five of the last seven – to move her career total to 44, the second-most in program history … Miller is six home runs away from tying Christine Lux’s leading.
– Buntin has totaled a team-high 43 RBI with Miller adding 40, marking the fifth time in program history that two players have recorded at least 40 RBI in the same season … the feat was achieved in 2000, 2002 (three players), 2009 and 2010.
– Alexa Maldonado is second on the team with 43 hits but leads all Irish players with 15 multi-hit games.
– Buntin has reached base safely in each of the last 10 games … only Jenna Simon (12) and Maldonado (13) have posted longer streaks during the season.