Nov. 24, 2012
NOTRE DAME, Ind. (AP) – Jack Cooley had 13 points and 13 rebounds Saturday to lead Notre Dame to a 69-52 win over Saint Francis of Pennsylvania inside Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center.
Eric Atkins and Cameron Biedscheid each scored 13 points as well for the Irish, and Garrick Sherman had 11 points in his first start of the season. Jerian Grant also chipped in 11 points to give the Irish five double-figure scorers.
Umar Shannon scored 14 points and Ollie Jackson had 12 points on four 3-pointers for St. Francis (0-5), which lost its ninth straight road game dating back to last season. The Irish (5-1) have won 39 of their last 40 home games and improved to 44-0 all-time in November under coach Mike Brey.
Cooley recorded double figures in points and rebounds in the same game for the 17th time in his career.
Notre Dame will play host to Chicago State at 7 p.m. (ET) Monday inside Purcell Pavilion.
Notre Dame Postgame Notes
– Today was the 12th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Saint Francis … the Fighting Irish have won all 12 contests
– The win improved Notre Dame to 27-0 against teams from the Northeast Conference (NEC) … it was Notre Dame’s second win over an NEC opponent this season … the Irish topped Monmouth, 84-57, on Nov. 12
– Eric Atkins (Jr./G), Pat Connaughton (So./G), Jack Cooley (Sr./F), Jerian Grant (Jr./G) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started today’s contest … it was the first time that quintet started this season … it was the first start for Sherman during his Notre Dame career … Atkins, Connaughton, Grant and Cooley have started every game this season
– Scott Martin (GS/G) missed today’s game due to knee soreness … it snapped his streak of 28 consecutive games played (all starts)
– Notre Dame had five double-digit scorers (Eric Atkins 13, Cameron Biedscheid 13, Jack Cooley 13, Jerian Grant 11, Garrick Sherman 11) … it marked the second time this season (Saint Joseph’s) that the Irish had five players reach double-figures in points
– Freshman forward Cameron Biedscheid became the seventh different Irish player to score in double-figures this season (Eric Atkins, Pat Connaughton, Jack Cooley, Jerian Grant, Scott Martin and Garrick Sherman are the others)
– Notre Dame outrebounded Saint Francis 42-25
– Notre Dame led 35-23 at halftime … the Irish are 4-0 this season when leading at the intermission
– The Irish have held their opponents to 23 points or under in the first half four times this season … Notre Dame opponents are averaging just 26.2 points in the first half this season
– Notre Dame is 104-7 in its last 111 home games and 39-1 in the last 40 home contests … the Irish have won 10 straight home games
– Notre Dame has won 22 consecutive non-conference home games and the Irish are 63-1 in their last 64 non-league home contests
– The Irish improved to 44-0 at home in the month of November under head coach Mike Brey … as a program, Notre Dame has won 47 straight games in November
– A three-pointer from Eric Atkins in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 448
Eric Atkins (Jr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (13 points) for the third time this season and for the 31st time in his career
– Had six assists and no turnovers
Cameron Biedscheid (Fr./F)
– Scored a career-high 13 points … it was the first double-digit scoring effort of his career
– His four three-pointers (on six attempts) were a season-high for any Irish player this season
Jack Cooley (Sr./F)
– Notched his team-best fourth double-double of the season with 13 points and 13 rebounds … it was the 17th double-double of his career
– Hauled down 10 or more rebounds for the fourth time this season and for the 19th time in his career
Jerian Grant (Jr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the fourth straight game (currently a team-best streak) and for the fifth time this season … he has 31 career double-digit scoring efforts
– Tied a career-high with nine assists
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
– Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the second straight game and for the third time this season … it is the first time in his career that he’s reached double-figures in consecutive games … he has four career double-digit scoring efforts