Feb. 17, 2018
By Robby Hamman
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. — Senior Matt Farrell turned in one of the greatest shooting performances in program history in Notre Dame’s (16-11, 6-8 ACC) 84-67 win at Boston College (16-11, 6-8 ACC) on Saturday afternoon.
Farrell tied the Notre Dame record for three-point makes in a game with 10 on his way to a career-high 37 points. The senior guard finished 12-of-17 from the field, including a remarkable 10-of-12 from distance to deliver the Irish the much-needed road victory. The 37 points are the most ever scored by a Notre Dame player in an Atlantic Coast Conference game.
The only other Notre Dame player to ever make 10 shots from beyond the arc in a game is Kyle McAlarney, who went 10-of-18 against North Carolina in the 2008-09 season.
Sophomore guard T.J. Gibbs added 15 points for the Irish and senior forward Martinas Geben chipped in 12 in the contest.
The victory pushes Notre Dame’s active winning streak to 11 games against Boston College and the Irish have never lost to the Golden Eagles in an ACC matchup.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Notre Dame could not have asked for a better start against Boston College, as the Irish sprinted out of the gates to an early 17-point lead at 24-7 just eight minutes into the contest. Farrell accounted for 14 of the team’s points in the stretch.
The senior did not let up the rest of the half, as Farrell went on to total 26 points over the opening 20 minutes of play to give the Irish a 46-30 lead at the halftime break. As a team the Irish shot 66.7 percent from the field (18-of-27) and three-point line (10-of-15) in the first frame to build the 16-point advantage.
The Irish came out of the intermission and picked up where they left off on the offensive end, quickly extending their lead to 26 points with the score 56-30 with just over 18 minutes left in the game.
Boston College tried to stage a comeback, trimming the Notre Dame lead to nine points at 68-59 with under six minutes to play. However, the Irish offense proved to be too much for hosts, as Notre Dame closed the game on an 11-3 run to seal the 17-point win.
NOTRE DAME PLAYER OF THE GAME
Farrell’s shooting performance was one for the ages for the Irish, as the senior connected on his first nine three-point field goal attempts, marking the most consecutive makes from beyond the arc to start a game in program history. The senior finished with a career-high 37 points, which is tied with Bonzie Colson for the most points a Notre Dame player has scored in a game this season. Farrell also led the team in assists with seven and pulled down four rebounds while playing all 40 minutes in the win.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME I
The Irish knocked down 10 shots from beyond the arc in the first half, setting a program record for most makes from three-point range in a half of an ACC game in program history. Farrell accounted for eight of the three-pointers while Gibbs and Rex Pflueger each added one.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME II
Notre Dame posted its best shooting performance of the season against Boston College, making 63.3 percent of its attempts from the field (31-of-49) in the game. The Irish also knocked down the highest percentage of threes in a game this season, connecting on 14-of-23 attempts from distance for a 60.9 percentage for the day.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish improve to 14-4 against the Golden Eagles in the all-time series and extend their active winning streak to 11 straight games.
- Notre Dame is now 10-0 against Boston College since joining the ACC.
- The senior class of Bonzie Colson, Matt Farrell, Martinas Geben, Matt Gregory and graduate student Austin Torres set the program record for most wins in a career with 98.
- The Irish knocked down 14 three-pointers against the Eagles, marking the 12th time Notre Dame has finished with 10 or more in a game during the 2017-18 campaign. The Irish have accomplished the feat in each of the last four games.
- Notre Dame committed just two fouls in the first half, the fewest ever for Notre Dame in an ACC game.
- Farrell’s 37 points are tied for the most points from a Notre Dame player this season, as Bonzie Colson also scored 37 against Dartmouth.
- The 10 makes from three-point range set the Conte Forum record and are the most a Notre Dame player has ever had in a true road game.
- Farrell has now scored 20-plus points in six games this season and nine in his career.
- Gibbs has recorded 10-plus points in 22 outings this season, including 15 straight.
- Geben has finished in double figures in the scoring column 16 times during his senior campaign, including each of his last four outings.
The Irish return home for their third Big Monday game of the season, as Notre Dame hosts Miami at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, Feb. 19 inside Purcell Pavilion. The game will air on ESPN.
— ND —
Robby Hamman joined Fighting Irish Media as athletics communications assistant director in September 2016, coordinating efforts for the volleyball and men’s lacrosse program. Hamman is a 2010 graduate of Bethel College, where he earned bachelor’s degrees in sport management and business administration, and earned his master’s degree in business administration from Defiance College in 2013.