Eck Tennis Pavilion
- Accessible Seating Information (ADA)
One of Notre Dame’s athletic facilities is the Eck Tennis Pavilion, dedicated in June 1987. Newly renovated with the courts resurfaced in the summer of 2003, the building has a history of being in the national spotlight. In 1994, the Irish served as host to the NCAA Men’s Championship and in 1998, the NCAA Women’s Championship came back to Notre Dame.
The indoor facility houses six laykold courts, offices, locker rooms and a spacious spectator viewing area upstairs that is ideally suited for videotaping.
“It is truly one of the great collegiate indoor tennis facilities in the country,” says Irish women’s coach Jay Louderback.
In September 1988, the Eck Pavilion received the 1988 United States Tennis Association Award for architectural design. As a result, the USTA presented the facility with a handsome wooden plaque, a large sign placed in front of the pavilion and a complimentary one-year membership in the USTA. In addition, the facility and its award are recognized in an inscription on a large mahogany board displayed in the lobby of the USTA National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadow, N.Y.
The facility was underwritten by Franklin E. Eck. He is chairman and chief executive officer of Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc., which produces corrugated plastic drainage pipe for agricultural and commercial purposes.
A 1944 graduate in chemical engineering at Notre Dame, Eck earned an M.B.A. from Harvard in 1949. In 1984, he endowed a collection in chemical engineering in Notre Dame’s Hesburgh Library.
The generosity of Eck also made Notre Dame’s baseball facility, Frank Eck Stadium, and the Eck Visitor’s Center possible.