Courtney Tennis Center
- Accessible Seating Information (ADA)
Notre Dame’s Courtney Tennis Center, with 14 of 24 courts newly resurfaced in the summer of 2003, was again in the national spotlight as the school served as host to the 1998 NCAA women’s tennis championship in addition to the ’94 NCAA men’s championship and numerous NCAA regionals.
Improvements to the facility include a new public address system, expanded seating for the championship at 1,500 and renovation of a control building, which was used for the tournament.
In the past, it not only has been the site of some of the finest competition in the Midwest, but also in the nation and the world as well. The facility was the site of what tennis coaches still consider to be the finest collection of collegiate tennis talent ever assembled – the 1971 NCAA Championship.
In that spring classic, then-freshman Jimmy Connors of UCLA defeated Stanford’s Roscoe Tanner in five sets to capture the individual title.
Financed entirely by prominent Washington, D.C., attorney Jeremiah Courtney, the 33-year-old facility has been the home of Irish tennis since 1967.
The numerous courts and the brand-new laykold surface make the Courtney Center a popular spot for students and faculty as well as the varsity tennis teams. New windscreens were added to all of the courts in 1988 and bleacher seating on the number one and number two courts were added that summer.
Courtney is a 1932 graduate of Columbia, where he captained the tennis team. His two sons, however, attended Notre Dame and went on to play tennis under legendary coach Tom Fallon.