Effective: September 1, 2018
In line with best practices at major entertainment and athletics venues, the University of Notre Dame will implement a clear bag policy for all reserve-ticketed events at Notre Dame Stadium, including Corbett Family Hall, O’Neill Hall, and Duncan Student Center during home game weekends and select events, Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center, and Compton Family Ice Arena, effective Sept. 1 for the first football game of the 2018 season.
- The policy allows for only clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags that do not exceed 12″ X 6″ X 12″ in size. Clear bags may have a logo on one side so long as said logo does not exceed 4.5″ X 3.4.”
- Small clutch bags with or without a handle or strap or wallets that do not exceed 4.5″ X 6.5,” or approximately the size of a hand, are allowable and do not need to be clear plastic.
- One-gallon clear plastic zip bags (such as Ziploc or Hefty bags) are also allowable.
- Exceptions will be made for approved medical bags or equipment, which will be inspected at designated gates.
Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to, purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, drawstring/cinch sack bags, luggage of any kind, computer bags, camera bags, binocular cases, diaper bags, grocery bags, and bags larger than the permissible size. Items in such bags – including diapers, wipes and other supplies for babies and small children – should be placed in an approved clear bag.
Guests are encouraged to bring only necessary items into the venues, and all fans and their belongings are subject to inspection at the entrances. Express entry lanes for those entering without a bag will be available at all gates.
Bags that do not meet the policy will not be permitted to enter the venue. Disposal/relocation of non-permissible bags will be the responsibility of the owner. No bag check will be available.
Approved bags can be purchased at Hammes Notre Dame bookstore locations, game day merchandise kiosks or through various online outlets. Clear plastic bags meeting the 12″ X 6″ X 12″ specifications from other venues or events are permissible.
As always, fans can carry personal items in their pockets or jackets, including keys, makeup, feminine products, combs, phones, wallets and credit cards.
- Why did Notre Dame adopt this policy?
- How does the new policy improve safety?
- How does this policy make it more convenient for fans?
- Does my bag have to be a Notre Dame logo bag?
- Which Notre Dame facilities does this policy pertain to?
- When does this policy take effect?
- How many bags can each person bring into the venue?
- Can fans carry cameras, binoculars or smart phones separately from what they put in a clear bag?
- Are seat cushions allowed to be carried into the stadium?
- What about bringing blankets in cold weather?
- What happens if I show up at the gate with a bag that is not permitted?
- If I have certain medical items or equipment that I need to bring into the venue for medical reasons and they won’t fit in the clear bag, what do I do?
- Are all purses prohibited?
- Do I have to put everything I’m carrying into the permissible bags?
- What about diaper bags?
- Will there be an express lane entrance if I don’t have any bags?
- Why did Notre Dame adopt this policy?
The safety of our guests and the entire Notre Dame community is of utmost importance to us. This policy is consistent with nearly all professional and collegiate venues across the country. We believe that by limiting the size and style of bags this policy will enhance public safety at our events and expedite access for fans into our venues.How does the new policy improve safety?
The clear bag is easily and quickly searched and greatly reduces any risk of faulty bag searches.How does this policy make it more convenient for fans?
This will enable venue security to move fans through security checkpoints much faster. It will allow staff to be more efficient and effective in checking bags. There will be less time spent standing in lines at the gates and fans will be able to enter the venue more quickly.
Does my bag have to be a Notre Dame logo bag?
No, there are a variety of options for approved bags, including a clear 12″ X 6″ X 12″ bag with no commercial identification or an inexpensive gallon-size clear plastic zip bag. In addition, fans may carry their own small (not to exceed 4.5″ X 6.5″) clutches or wallets. For fans who wish to purchase team logo bags, they will be available at the bookstore locations and through various online outlets.
Which Notre Dame facilities does this policy pertain to?
The policy pertains to reserve-ticketed sporting events only – football games at Notre Dame Stadium, men’s and women’s basketball contests at Purcell Pavilion and hockey games at Compton Family Ice Arena. This policy may be in effect for other events in those locations or other campus venues on a case-by-case basis.
When does this policy take effect?
The new clear bag policy goes into effect Saturday, September 1, beginning with the first home football game at Notre Dame Stadium.
How many bags can each person bring into the venue?
Fans may bring multiple clear bags into the venue.
Can fans carry cameras, binoculars or smart phones separately from what they put in a clear bag?
Yes. Binoculars, a phone or camera can be carried into the venue so long as it is not in a case.
Are seat cushions allowed to be carried into the stadium?
Yes, seat cushions measuring 16″ X 16″ (or smaller) are permissible.
What about bringing blankets in cold weather?
Fans will be able to bring blankets into the venue. Blankets will be subject to unfolding and inspection.
What happens if I show up at the gate with a bag that is not permitted?
Bags that do not meet the policy will not be permitted to enter the venue. There will not be a bag-check service to hold bags during the game. A third-party vendor will be available outside of the Stadium prior to home football games to ship bags/belongings that do not meet the University’s bag policies.
If I have certain medical items or equipment that I need to bring into the venue for medical reasons and they won’t fit in the clear bag, what do I do?
An exception will be made for medical necessities after proper inspection at a specified gate designated for this purpose. There will be a separate entrance to allow screening of these medically necessary items.
Are all purses prohibited?
No, we are not banning all bags. Small clutch purses, with or without a handle or strap, and wallets are permitted as long as they do not exceed 4.5″ X 6.5,” along with either the 12″ X 6″ X 12″ clear tote bag or the clear plastic gallon-sized zip bags.
Do I have to put everything I’m carrying into the permissible bags?
No. We are limiting only the type of bags carried into the venue, not items that you normally bring to a game. You can carry permissible items in your pockets, if you choose not to put them in a clear bag or clutch. And you can carry a blanket over your arms, and binoculars and/or camera around your neck or in your hands without the case. You can use the clear bag and clutch to carry other items.
What about diaper bags?
Diaper bags will not be permitted. Items typically carried in a diaper bag will fit in a 12″ X 6″ X 12″ clear tote bag or the clear plastic gallon-sized zip bags. Or diaper bag items can be brought into the venue in a small clutch or purse, not exceeding 4.5″ X 6.5.”
Will there be an express lane entrance if I don’t have any bags?
Yes, an express lane will be available for those without bags to enter the venue more expeditiously.