Oct. 10, 2000
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The Center for Sport, Character & Culture at the University of Notre Dame presents its inaugural conference: Sport, Character and Culture: Promoting Social and Moral Development Through Sport, May 10-12, 2001 (Thursday evening through Saturday afternoon).
Conference topics include a blend of theoretical, empirical, and practical considerations on the topic of developing character through sport. Participants will be drawn together by their concern over the surging number of negative experiences visible in youth, collegiate, and professional athletics, and by a commitment to the positive potential of sports to build character.
The conference is designed to increase understanding of the issues and to empower positive action at all levels. Invited speakers at the conference include prominent social scientists from the areas of sport psychology, sport sociology, sport philosophy, moral development and moral education, as well as athletes, coaches, athletic directors, and other sport practitioners.
Confirmed presenters include:
- Jeff Beedy, author of SportsPLUS.
- Brenda Light Bredemeier, co-director of the Mendelson Center for Sport, Character & Culture.
- Jay Coackley, sport sociologist and past president of the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, University of Colorado.
- Fred Hickman, senior anchor, CNN/Sports Illustrated, and host of the television program “More than A Game.”
- Peyton Manning, quarterback, Indianapolis Colts.
- Holly Metcalf, Olympic gold medalist 1984 Olympics, women’s eight rowing, founder and director of Row as One Institute, Inc.
- David Light Shields, co-director of the Mendelson Center for Sport, Character & Culture.
- Jim Thompson, founder of Positive Coaching Alliance.
Who: The Center for Sport, Character & Culture at The University of Notre Dame
What: Inaugural Conference, Sport, Character and Culture:
Promoting Social and Moral Development through Sport
When: May 10-12, 2001
Where: The University of Notre Dame (Notre Dame, IN)
Contact: The Center for Sport, Character & Culture, 202 Brownson Hall, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556 (phone: 219/631-4445, fax: 219/631-8411, email: email@example.com, www.nd.edu/~cscc).