March 16, 2000
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – After winning the preliminaries, Notre Dame junior Carrie Nixon (Ouray, Colo.) placed fourth in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 25.09 Thursday night at the 2000 NCAA Women’s Swimming and Diving Championships.
Nixon, who logged a time of 24.99 in the prelims, finished 0.12 seconds behind third-place finisher Catherine Fox of Stanford (24.97). Courtney Shely of Georgia took home the title with a time of 24.80 after placing fourth in the morning’s preliminaries. For her finish, Nixon earned All-America honors for the first time in her career after earning honorable mention All-America honors in three events in 1999, including a 16th-place finish in the 50 freestyle.
50 Freestyle – Championship Final
1. Courtney Shely, Georgia 24.80
2. Courtney Allen, Northwestern 24.87
3. Catherine Fox, Stanford 24.97
4. Carrie Nixon, Notre Dame 25.09
5. Katrina Maistrellis, SMU 25.21
6. Kieko Price, UCLA 25.24
7. Jia Lin Sun, Nevada 25.28
8. Colleen Lanne, Texas 25.57