NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Notre Dame senior forward Cal Burke has signed a standard player contract with the Colorado Eagles (AHL affiliate for the Colorado Avalanche) for the 2020-21 season, the organization announced on Wednesday (March 18).
Burke, a senior captain in 2019-20, closed his Irish career with 36 goals and 52 assists for 88 points in 146 games played. A two-time Hockey Humanitarian Award nominee and a 2020 Hockey Humanitarian finalist and 2019 Big Ten Sportsmanship honoree, Burke helped guide the Irish to Frozen Four appearances in 2017 and 2018 and three straight NCAA Regional Finals from 2017-19.
Burke was also part of three Big Ten Championships, including back-to-back tournament titles in 2018 and 2019.
Burke scored seven goals and recorded 14 assists in 37 games as a senior, while also serving as the team’s captain. The Boxborough, Massachusetts, native was named a Hockey Humanitarian Award Finalist for the second straight year in addition to being tabbed as one of 10 hockey finalists for the Senior CLASS Award.
Burke will graduate from the Mendoza College of Business as a Business Analytics major.
The Colorado organization had previously drafted Burke’s 2019-20 teammates Cam Morrison (2016: second round/40th overall), Nate Clurman (2016: sixth round/161st overall) and Nick Leivermann (2017: seventh round/187th overall). Former Notre Dame standouts Ian Cole and T.J. Tynan played for the Avalanche during the 2019-20 season while Erik Condra played in 53 contests for the Eagles this year.
BURKE AS A SENIOR
- Senior Class Finalist (Feb 13)
- Named Hockey Humanitarian Finalist (Feb.5)
- Named B1G Second Star of the Week (Oct. 29)
- Named as Honorable Mention Preseason All-Big Ten (Sept. 30)
- Scored seven goals and recorded 14 assists in 37 games as a senior, while also serving as the team’s captain.
- Fourth on the team with 21 points during the 2019-20 season.
- Recorded one goal and one assist in the 4-3 season opening win against Air Force (Oct. 11). With this, he notched his 12th multi-point game.
- Recorded one goal and one assist in the 6-1 victory to secure the season opening sweep of Air Force (Oct. 13).
- Recorded one goal and three assists in the 5-2 victory of Lake Superior State (Oct. 25), his 14th career multi-point game.
- Scored one goal and recorded two assists in the 6-4 victory to secure the series sweep against Lake Superior State (Oct. 26).
- Scored a goal in the 6-4 loss against Wisconsin (Jan. 24).
- Scored his second game winning goal of the season and ninth of his career in the 5-2 victory against Wisconsin (Jan. 25).
- Recorded an assist in the 3-3 tie against #8 Penn State (Jan. 31).
- Scored a goal in the 4-2 road victory against #8 Penn State (Jan. 31).