NOTRE DAME, Ind. — University of Notre Dame senior defenseman Bobby Nardella has signed a two-year, entry level contract with the Washington Capitals.
Nardella led the Irish in scoring as a senior by scoring eight goals and adding a team-best 26 assists for 34 points. Part of the first class in program history to reach the NCAA tournament in all four seasons, Nardella scored the extra attacker goal to force overtime in Notre Dame’s eventual 3-2 NCAA Northeast Regional semifinal win over Clarkson (March 30).
Nardella, a Rosemont, Illinois native, was a key member of the Notre Dame blue line over the last four seasons, helping the Irish to Frozen Four appearances in 2017 and 2018. He also helped secure the 2017-18 Big Ten regular season championship and the 2017 and 2018 Big Ten tournament titles.
A First Team All-Big Ten selection in 2018-19, Nardella finished his Irish career as the fifth-leading scorer among Notre Dame defensmen with 103 career points on 24 goals and 79 assists. He was the 54th player in program history to record at least 100-career points.
Nardella is a political science major in the college of arts and letters who is set to graduate in May.
AS A SENIOR
• Named an alternate captain prior to the start of the season.
• Opened the year with a career-high three assists versus Mercyhurst in Notre Dame’s 6-6 tie (Oct. 12).
• Sealed the Ice breaker championship with Notre Dame’s third goal in the 3-0 win over then #4/5 Providence (Oct. 13).
• Had a career-high five points in Notre Dame’s 8-2 win at Omaha on two goals and three assists.
• One of his goals came as the Irish were killing off a 5-on-3 Omaha power play for his first career shorthanded goal.
• Had a pair of assists to help the Irish to a 5-1 win over RPI (Nov. 30).
• Had a goal and two assists to help lead Notre Dame to a 6-4 win at Wisconsin (Jan. 18).
• Also had two assists in Notre Dame’s 6-3 win over Michigan State (Jan. 25).
• Scored the game-tying goal with three minutes left in the third period in Notre Dame’s eventual 1-1 tie versus Michigan State on Jan. 26 (Irish went in to secure the additional Big Ten point in the shootout).
• Notched his 100th-career point with an assist in the regular-season finale versus Penn State to become the 54th Irish skater to reach 100 points (seventh defenseman).
• Missed the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinal series versus Michigan State (March 8-9).
• One of two defensemen to earn First Team All-Big Ten Honors (March 18).
• Scored the extra attacker goal and added an assist in Notre Dame’s 3-2 overtime win against Clarkson to send the Irish to the NCAA Northeast Regional Final (March 30).
• Named to the 2019 NCAA Northeast Regional All-Tournament Team (March 31).
AS A JUNIOR
• Scored a power-play goal in Notre Dame’s season-opening win over Alabama Huntsville (Oct. 6) and then added an assist in the 4-0 game two win over the Chargers for a two-point weekend.
• Had two assists in game one against Sacred Heart (Oct. 19).
• Had a goal and an assist in Notre Dame’s 6-4 loss to Omaha (Oct. 26).
• Posted two assists in Notre Dame’s 5-4 win over Omaha (Oct. 27).
• Had a goal and an assist in Notre Dame’s 5-3 win over Penn State (Nov. 10).
• Notched a pair of assists, including the primary assist on Bo Brauer’s game winner, in Notre Dame’s 5-3 victory at Penn State (Feb. 2).
• Had a pair of assists in Notre Dame’s 6-3 win over Michigan State (Feb. 23).
• Registered assist in B1G title game win over Ohio State (March 17).
• Assisted on Jordan Gross’ goal in NCAA regional semifinal win over Michigan Tech (March 23).
• Blocked three shots in the Frozen Four Tournament game against Michigan (April 5).
AS A SOPHOMORE
• Opened the season with a career-high two goals in Notre Dame’s 9-2 win over Arizona State (Oct. 7).
• Had a goal and two assists in the third period of Notre Dame’s 5-4 loss at UMass (Dec. 2).
• Injured in the first game of the Merrimack series and missed six games (lower body injury) before returning for the Maine series (Feb. 10).
• Posted two assists in Notre Dame’s 4-2 win at Maine (Feb. 11).
• Had a game-tying, power-play goal against 10th-ranked Providence in the 3-3 overtime tie (Feb. 18).
• Scored the game-winning goal in Notre Dame’s 5-2 victory over Providence in game two of the Hockey East quarterfinals, which clinched the series (March 11).
• Finished the season with seven goals and 14 assists for a total of 21 points.
AS A FRESHMAN
• Named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team and was selected as Notre Dame’s Rookie of the Year.
• He skated in 35 game and finished tied for fifth on the team with 24 points on four goals and 20 assists.
• He scored one power-play goal, finished with a +9 plus/minus rating and also blocked 20 shots.
• With three goals and 11 assists for 14 points in Hockey East play, he ranked eighth in scoring among Hockey East defensemen while also ranking eighth in scoring among Hockey East rookies.
• Named the Hockey East Rookie of the Week twice (Oct. 26 & Jan. 18).
• Nationally, he ranked 13th in points-per game among defenseman and fourth among freshmen defenseman.
• Registered his first career point with an assist at Penn State (Oct. 17) in his second career game.
• Scored his first career goal in Notre Dame’s 3-3 tie with Minnesota Duluth (Oct. 23) and followed that up the next night with a pair of assists in Notre Dame’s 3-3 tie against the Bulldogs.
• Had a goal in Notre Dame’s 8-2 win over UConn at the Barclays Center (Nov. 1).
• Had a pair of assists in Notre Dame’s 3-3 tie at Western Michigan (Jan. 9).
• Had a career-high three points in Notre Dame’s 7-2 win over Merrimack (Jan. 15) on a goal and two assists.
• Followed that game up with a goal and an assist the next night in Notre Dame’s 5-1 win over the Warriors for a five-point weekend en route to being named the Hockey East Rookie of the Week.
• Had a pair of assists in Notre Dame’s 5-1 win at New Hampshire (Jan. 22).