Jan. 12, 2016
Notre Dame (10-5, 1-2) vs. Georgia Tech (11-5, 1-2)
Date: Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2016
Site: Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
Game Time: 9 p.m. ET
TV: ACC Network
Talent: Justin Kutcher (play-by-play); Cory Alexander (analyst)
Radio: Notre Dame Basketball Radio Network; WatchND; Sirius 132/XM 193
Talent: Jack Nolan (Play-By-Play); Torrian Jones (Analyst)
NOTRE DAME – GEORGIA TECH BY THE NUMBERS
- 1 – Notre Dame leads the ACC in field goal percentage as a team at .506. The Irish are sixth nationally in field goal percentage.
- 2 – Wednesday night’s matchup is the first of two games between Notre Dame and Georgia Tech (next meeting Saturday, Feb. 20). The Yellow Jackets are one of two repeat opponents (Boston College) for the Irish this season.
- 3 – Notre Dame has won the last three meetings with Georgia Tech, the most recent a 62-59 victory at McCamish Pavilion on Jan. 14, 2015.
- 4.3 – Average margin of victory in Notre Dame’s three consecutive wins over Georgia Tech.
- 4 – Statistical categories in which Demetrius Jackson ranks among the top five in the ACC: scoring 17.1 ppg (5th), assists 5.27 (3rd), assist/turnover ratio 2.72 (5th) and minutes played 35.73 (5th). He also ranks 10th in field goal percentage (.505).
- 9.4 – Senior forward Zach Auguste is fifth in the ACC in rebounding with a 9.4 average.
- 13 – Notre Dame and Georgia Tech will be meeting for the 13th time. The Yellow Jackets lead the all-time series 7-5, 4-2 at home.
- 17.1 – Average points per game for junior guard Demetrius Jackson, ranking fifth in the ACC.
- 34 – Jersey number worn by Irish assistant coach Rod Balanis during his playing career at Georgia Tech. Balanis played for Bobby Cremins at Tech from 1990-94, reaching the NCAA Sweet 16 twice and the 1990 Final Four in Denver, Colorado.
- 146 – Number of turnovers committed by Notre Dame this season, fourth-best in the NCAA.
NOTRE DAME – GEORGIA TECH SERIES HISTORY
- All-time series: Georgia Tech leads 7-5
- Notre Dame at home vs. Georgia Tech: 4-2
- First meeting: Feb. 22, 1941, Notre Dame 53, Georgia Tech 42
- Most recent meeting: Jan. 14, 2015, Notre Dame 62, Georgia Tech 59
- Mike Brey vs. Georgia Tech at Notre Dame: 3-2
- Notre Dame dropped its first home ACC contest of the season, as Pittsburgh earned an 86-82 victory in front of 8,298 in Purcell Pavilion.
- Pittsburgh connected on its first eight shots from the field and 10 of its first 12, building an 18 point lead before the Irish were able to trim it to six points at halftime, the rally helped by four consecutive three pointers from Demetrius Jackson.
- The Panthers built up another 18 point lead in the second half before a furious Irish rally cut the lead to two points with 1:58 remaining, but Notre Dame would get no closer in the four-point loss.
- Demetrius Jackson led the Irish offense with 26 points with a career-best five three pointers and six assists.
- Michael Young poured in 25 points on 7 of 11 shooting for Pittsburgh, while Jamel Artis added 19 points.
NOTRE DAME REACHES 1800-WIN MILESTONE
- Notre Dame’s 84-79 victory at Illinois on Dec. 2 marked the 1800th win in program history.
- The Fighting Irish are 1805-977 (.649) all-time in 111-plus seasons.
- Notre Dame ranks ninth in Division I in all-time program wins behind Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, Temple, Syracuse, UCLA and St. John’s.
IRISH IN THE ACC
- Notre Dame is 21-18 in ACC regular-season play after two-plus seasons in the conference. After going 6-12 in its first season in 2014-15, the Irish finished 14-4 in 2014-15.
- Notre Dame’s 14 wins a year ago (+8.0) marked the second-best improvement from the previous season in ACC history.
FILLING THE STAT SHEET
- Demetrius Jackson is one of just two NCAA division I men’s basketball players to average over 17 ppg, shoot over 50% from the field, over 40% from three-point range, average over 5.0 apg and 1.0 spg. Caris LeVert from Michigan is the other player to match those numbers.
- On Jan. 4, Irish head coach Mike Brey named Steve Vasturia a captain for the remainder of the 2015-16 season, joining Demetrius Jackson, Zach Auguste and A.J. Burgett as Irish players with a ‘C’ on their uniforms.
AUGUSTE NEARING 1,000-POINT MARK
- Senior forward Zach Auguste is approaching the 1,000-point mark. Heading into the Boston College game, he has 969 career points in 107 career contests.
- He would become the 57th player in Notre Dame history to reach that point total.
For more news and notes, please visit: Link