NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame baseball is back in the friendly confides of Frank Eck Stadium for its season opening weekend. The Irish, fresh off two consecutive ACC series wins, will welcome the 19th-ranked Florida State Seminoles to town this weekend. The three-game set is scheduled to kick off Friday night at 6 p.m. ET and all three games will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.
|No. 19 Florida State (15-5, 3-3 ACC) vs. Notre Dame (8-10, 4-2 ACC)|
|When:|| Friday, March 22 | 6:00 p.m. ET
Saturday, March 23 | 2:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, March 24 | 1:00 p.m. ET
|Where:||Notre Dame, Ind. | Frank Eck Stadium|
|Watch:|| ACC Network Extra – Friday
ACC Network Extra – Saturday
ACC Network Extra – Sunday
Know the Opponent: Florida State Seminoles
- Florida State, an NCAA Tournament participant a season ago, will be the home-opener for the Irish in 2019 for the second time since Notre Dame joined the ACC.
- Florida State opened the home ACC slate for the Irish back in 2017.
- The Seminoles lead the all-time series 17-8, after winning two-of-three last season in Tallahassee.
- Florida State’s head coach Mike Martin will be making his final trip to Frank Eck Stadium as he is set to retire after the season. In 40 seasons at FSU, Martin is the winningest coach in baseball history (2,002-718-4) and the first ever to surpass 2,000 wins.
Sheehan Complete Game
- Tommy Sheehan was masterful Friday night at Doug Kingsmore Stadium in Notre Dame’s 9-2 win over No. 12 Clemson.
- The Tigers were white hot, winners of four straight over ranked opponents, including a three-game sweep of No. 3 North Carolina, but Sheehan kept the Tigers bats at bay.
- The sophomore lefty recorded his first career complete game, going the distance on 121 pitches and limited the Tigers to a season-low two runs.
- It was the first complete game by an Irish pitcher since Michael Hearne on April 19, 2016 against No. 21 Michigan State.
- It was also the first complete game by an ACC pitcher this season.
- Although they scored nine runs, the Irish only had one extra base hit of the night and it was a three-run blast by Eric Gilgenbach in the ninth inning to break the game open.
- It was his sixth home run of the season and he is tied with Niko Kavadas for the team lead.
Irish Claim Series in Extras
- In the rubber match of the three-game series against No. 12 Clemson, pitching was on full display for the Irish.
- Cameron Junker had the best start of his career against the Tigers, setting a career high in innings (7.1) and strikeouts (8).
- He had a number of 1-2-3 innings against Clemson and scattered four hits and allowed only one run on the afternoon.
- After the Tigers tied the game in the eighth, Andrew Belcik entered the game with the go-head run at second and just one away. He struck out the final two batters of the inning to keep the score tied heading to the ninth.
- In the ninth, Joe Boyle entered with two runners on and nobody out. After a strikeout and fly out to right, the Tigers had the winning run 90 feet away. Boyle got the leadoff hitter, Hall, to strike out on the eighth pitch of the at bat to end the inning.
- In the tenth, the Irish platted two runs and Mitch Megias closed the door in the bottom half of the inning to secure the series win.
Number of Firsts for Irish in Clemson Series Win
- First career complete game from Tommy Sheehan in the 9-2 series opening win
- It was the first complete game by an ACC pitcher this season
- It was the first complete game by an Irish pitcher since Michael Hearne on April 19, 2016 against No. 21 Michigan State
- First time in school history the Irish have won their first two ACC series in a season since joining the conference in 2014
- It was their first road ACC series win over a ranked opponent in school history since joining the conference.
- It was the first ACC series win over a ranked opponent since May 9-10, 2015 when the Irish swept No. 20 North Carolina.