NOTRE DAME, Ind. – In the midst of a nine-game homestand at Frank Eck Stadium, the Notre Dame baseball team will welcome a pair of regional foes for midweek matchups. The Irish start the week with a Tuesday night tilt with Michigan State and then host Western Michigan on Wednesday night. Both games will start at 6 p.m. ET and will be broadcast on the ACC Network Extra.
|Michigan State (7-22) & Western Michigan (8-20) vs. Notre Dame (12-17)|
|When:|| Tuesday, April 9 | 6:00 p.m. ET vs. Michigan State
Wednesday, April 10 | 6:00 p.m. ET vs. Western Michigan
|Where:||Notre Dame, Ind. | Frank Eck Stadium|
|Watch:|| ACC Network Extra – Michigan State
ACC Network Extra – Western Michigan
Know the Opponent: Michigan State
- The Irish will host two midweek games for the second consecutive week against two teams the Irish have faced over 100 times.
- The first opponent will be Michigan State which the Irish currently have a three-game winning streak against.
- Last season, the Irish knocked off Michigan State, 8-7, in East Lansing.
- David LaManna recorded a career high three RBI in the win while Eric Gilgenbach went 2-for-4 and scored twice.
Know the Opponent: Western Michigan
- The second midweek matchup will be the 139th meeting with Western Michigan all-time.
- Notre Dame holds a 71-66-1 series edge and has a three-game winning streak against the Broncos after a 14-4 home win last season.
- Niko Kavadas went 3-for-3 on the afternoon with his fourth home run of the season while Eric Gilgenbach also tallied a home run of his own in the win.
- Tommy Sheehan and Zack Martin combined for eight innings of work and just allowed one run.
Kavadas Extends ACC Home Run Prowess
- Heading into the fifth weekend of ACC play against Virginia, Niko Kavadas had a knack of showing off the power against ACC opponents.
- The sophomore has had one home run in three of the four conference weekends heading in the series with the Cavaliers.
- In the second game of the doubleheader on Saturday, Kavadas continued his power stretch after taking a three-run homer the other way for his ninth of the season.
- Kavadas leads the team with nine home runs and is tied for the team lead with Eric Gilgenbach in RBI with 29.
Sheehan Dazzles Against Virginia
- After four weeks of ACC play, the Irish have been a stellar 3-1 in series-opening games and a lot of that has to do with Tommy Sheehan on the mound.
- Friday night against Virginia was no different for the sophomore left-hander as he held the Hoos stymied at the plate.
- Sheehan went the distance for the second time this season in the 5-2 win and allowed just two runs and one walk over the nine innings of work.
- The left-hander is the only pitcher in the ACC to have two complete games this season and ranks seventh nationally in the NCAA.
- He is the first Irish pitcher since Michael Hearne in 2016 to have two complete games in the same season.