SAN MARCOS, Texas — The Fighting Irish women’s golf team closed out the fall portion of its schedule by placing 10th at the 2019 Jim West Challenge (287-281-296=864).
In Monday’s final round, sophomore Claire Albrecht paced Notre Dame with an even par 72 to turn in her first career top-10 finish as she tied for ninth (68-71-72=211). Playing at the Kissing Tree Golf Club (6,033 yards/Par 72), Albrecht birdied two of her final three holes to get back to even par for the day.
Freshman Madelyn Jones and junior Abby Heck each carded two-over par 74’s to also score for the Irish on Monday. Jones had 12 pars on the day to go along with two birdies and four bogeys. Heck had three birdies, 10 pars and five bogeys.
Senior Mia Ayer also scored on the final day of play with a four-over par 76. She was Notre Dame’s second best finisher, tying for 31st. Ayer finished the tournament with three eagles, the second most in the 78-player field.
|T9||Claire Albrecht (2)||68||71||72|
|T31||Mia Ayer (3)||71||69||76|
|T38||Madelyn Jones (1)||74||70||74|
|50||Abby Heck (5)||75||71||74|
|T72||Lauren Beaudreau (4)||74||75||81|
|T66||Jessica Meyers (Notre Dame)||70||79||78|
Ole Miss won the 2019 Jim West Challenge (269-283-284=836), followed by Texas Tech (274-278-294=846). Sasikarn Somboonsup of Texas State took medalist honors (69-70-67=206). Based on their finish, the Irish picked up wins over UNLV, Kansas State, UTSA, Memphis and Missouri.
- The Fighting Irish will break for the semester and return to the course at Wisconsin’s 2020 Westbrook Spring Invitational on Feb. 23-24 at the Westbrook Village Golf Club in Peoria, Arizona.
Career Best Rounds (most recent occurence listed)
- Claire Albrecht: 68 (first round of the 2019 Jim West Invitational)
- Mia Ayer: 69 (second round of the 2019 Jim West Invitational)
- Lauren Beaudreau: 66 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Abby Heck: 66 (third round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Madelyn Jones: 69 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Jessica Meyers: 70 (first round of the 2019 Jim West Invitational)
Folds Of Honor
- The Fighting Irish women’s golf program has teamed up with the Folds of Honor Military Tribute Program (FHMTP) for the 2019-20 season.
- The program provides the opportunity for collegiate golf teams to honor a fallen or severely wounded American soldier by selecting a student-athlete to carry a golf bag displaying the name, rank and branch of service of the soldier being honored throughout the year.
- Fighting Irish senior Mia Ayer will have the honor of carrying Notre Dame’s FHMTP golf bag for the 2019-20 season, which honors the memory of Captain Reid Nishizuka ’05.
- Reid Nishizuka, a U.S. Air Force Captain, died in service to his country on April 27, 2013, near Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Reid was a recipient of 10 Air Medals, two Air Force Commendation Medals, two Air Force Achievement Medals and a Bronze Star for Heroism.
- Throughout the season, the Notre Dame women’s golf team will also raise funds with the proceeds benefiting the Folds of Honor (FOH).
- Through scholarships and other assistance, Folds of Honor gives back to the spouses and children of soldiers killed or disabled in service to our country
- Details of Notre Dame’s fundraising efforts will be released as the season progresses.
— ND —