EAST LANSING, Mich. — During a cold and rainy day two, Notre Dame senior women’s golfer Emma Albrecht battled the elements to a two-over-par 74 at the 2019 NCAA East Lansing Regional on Tuesday at Michigan State’s Forest Akers West Golf Course (Par 72/6,387 Yards).
Play was delayed for nearly seven full hours due to unseasonable conditions in the East Lansing area, with a shotgun start in groups of four beginning the second round at approximately 2:45 p.m. (ET). Representing the Fighting Irish, Albrecht sits in a tie for 43rd place after 36 holes with a score of 151 (77-74, +7).
Teeing off at the par-4 18th hole, Albrecht quickly rolled in a par to start her round on a high note. She then poured in a birdie at the par-4 first to move to 1-under-par. Three bogeys over her final seven holes on the front side led to a second straight opening nine holes in 39 for Albrecht.
Four straight pars into the second nine by Albrecht was broken by a birdie at the par-5 13th hole. A run of three pars on the way in was offset by a closing bogey that capped her two-over round.
Wednesday’s third and final round will begin at 8 a.m., with Albrecht’s tee time slated for 8:55 a.m. off the 10th tee. Live scoring will be available via Golfstat.
From each 2019 NCAA Regional, the lowest scoring six teams and the lowest scoring three individuals not on those teams will advance to the NCAA Championship, set for May 17-22 at Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Arkansas.
• Emma Albrecht is only the second Notre Dame player to qualify individually for an NCAA Regional since 2004, joining Noriko Nakazaki in 2007 (tied for 18th place at the NCAA Central Regional in Ann Arbor, Michigan; 72-73-79=224).
• Albrecht tied for 13th place in her previous individual NCAA appearance at the 2017 NCAA Columbus Regional with a score of 224 (75-75-74). Only Nicole Zhang (tied for eighth place at the 2011 NCAA Central Regional at the Warren Golf Course; 71-78-74=223) has ever finished higher representing the Irish at a regional site.
• The Notre Dame women’s golf team has either made an NCAA Regional as a team or sent an individual entrant in each of the past 13 seasons.
• Albrecht has enjoyed a stellar senior campaign for the Irish in 2018-19, posting a team-best 72.89 stroke average over 28 total rounds. She has fired a total of 13 rounds that finished at par or better, including eight such rounds under par (three rounds in the 60s).
• Albrecht logged seven top-25 finishes over her first nine starts this season, which included a tie for fourth place at the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational (70-71-72=213) and a share of second place at the Westbrook Invitational (70-68-70=208). She also carded seven straight rounds at par or better spanning from the third round of the Minnesota Invitational through the third round of the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational last fall.