EAST LANSING, Mich. — Senior Emma Albrecht shot a final round 78 at the 2019 NCAA East Lansing Regional on Wednesday at Michigan State’s Forest Akers West Golf Course (Par 72/6,387 Yards) to close out her storied Notre Dame career.
A four-year NCAA Regional participant, Albrecht finished her career with a 73.38 stroke career stroke average, the top mark in program history.
“Emma put together the most solid four-year career I have seen in my tenure at Notre Dame,” head coach Susan Holt said after Wednesday’s round. “She leaves the program with the best career stroke average which proves how consistent she’s been over her four seasons. She has been a huge part of our program’s success and will be missed.”
On Wednesday, Albrecht shot a final round 78 to finish at 13-over par (77-74-78=229) for the tournament to place in a tie for 56th. She started her round on the 10th hole and had seven pars, a bogey and a double on her first nine holes of the day. Her final nine holes of the day included a birdie on the par-3 seventh and a career-closing par on the par-3 ninth.
Kent State (282-291-287=860) finished first at the regional, besting Arizona (290-284-287=861) by one stroke. Stanford, UCLA, Illinois and Indiana also finished in the top six to advance to the NCAA Championship. UCLA’s Patty Tavatanakit (71-66-71=208) took medalist honors.
- Emma Albrecht is only the second Notre Dame player to qualify individually for an NCAA Regional since 2004, joining Noriko Nakazaki in 2007 (tied for 18th place at the NCAA Central Regional in Ann Arbor, Michigan; 72-73-79=224).
- Albrecht tied for 13th place in her previous individual NCAA appearance at the 2017 NCAA Columbus Regional with a score of 224 (75-75-74). Only Nicole Zhang (tied for eighth place at the 2011 NCAA Central Regional at the Warren Golf Course; 71-78-74=223) has ever finished higher representing the Irish at a regional site.
- The Notre Dame women’s golf team has either made an NCAA Regional as a team or sent an individual entrant in each of the past 13 seasons.
- Albrecht has enjoyed a stellar senior campaign for the Irish in 2018-19, posting a team-best 73.07 for season stroke average over 29 total rounds. She has fired a total of 13 rounds that finished at par or better, including eight such rounds under par (three rounds in the 60s).
- Albrecht logged seven top-25 finishes over her first nine starts this season, which included a tie for fourth place at the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational (70-71-72=213) and a share of second place at the Westbrook Invitational (70-68-70=208). She also carded seven straight rounds at par or better spanning from the third round of the Minnesota Invitational through the third round of the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational last fall.