WHO: #8/9 Notre Dame (0-0-0, 0-0-0-0 B1G) vs. Air Force (0-0-0, 0-0-0 Atlantic Hockey)
WHEN: Friday, October 11 – 7 p.m. ET | Sunday, October 13 – 3 p.m. ET
WHERE: Compton Family Ice Arena
WATCH: Friday – NBCSN | Sunday – NHL Network/NBC Sports Chicago+
LISTEN: 94.3 FM | UND.com
TICKETS: Click here
GAME NOTES (PDF)
THE SERIES VS. AIR FORCE
- Notre Dame and Air Force have met 40 times prior to this weekend but only once since the 1992-93 season.
- Overall, the Irish lead the series 26-12-2, including a 10-3-1 mark at home.
- Thirteen of those home meetings took place at the Joyce Center, while the teams’ first contest during the 1965-65 season was played at Howard Park.
- Notre Dame carries a five-game winning streak against the Falcons into the weekend.
- The last meeting between the two teams came on Oct. 28, 2006 at the St. Pete Times Forum, with the Irish winning 2-0 to capture the Lightning College Hockey Classic championship.
- Senior goaltender David Brown was the difference in the game as he stopped all 28 Falcon shots he faced.
- At 3:28 of the second period, sophomore Christian Hanson tucked the rebound of a Justin White shot past Air Force goaltender Ian Harper for his second goal of the weekend — Hanson was then selected to the all-tournament team and named MVP of the tournament.
- Jason Paige scored the second Fighting Irish goal at 13:23 of the second period.
- Current Irish forward Colin Theisen’s brother, Isaac, skated for the Falcons during the 2017-18 season.
B1G PRESEASON HONORS
- Cale Morris was named a unanimous Preseason All-Big Ten First Team selection and Cal Burke was tabbed as an Honorable Mention honoree (Sept. 30).
- The Fighting Irish were picked to finish second in the Big Ten preseason coaches’ poll: 1 Penn State 2. Notre Dame 3. Wisconsin 4. Ohio State 5. Minnesota 6. Michigan 7. Michigan State
BURKE EARNS CAPTAINCY
- Senior Cal Burke was named the team captain for 2019-20, while his classmates Tory Dello and Cale Morris will take on alternate captain roles.
- Burke served as an alternate captain as a junior.
- Dello and Morris will each be donning a letter for the first time in their Irish careers.
- Morris becomes the second goaltender under Jackson to wear a letter following Cal Petersen, who served as the team’s captain for the 2016-17 season.
- 501 –With Notre Dame’s 3-2 win over Penn State in the Big Ten Tournament championship game last season, head coach Jeff Jackson recorded his 500th career win, spanning six seasons at Lake Superior State and 14 seasons at Notre Dame. He now has 501 career wins, which ranks second among active NCAA DI head coaches.
- 51 –Over the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons, Notre Dame totaled 51 wins to rank fourth in the NCAA and first in the Big Ten over in that time span: 1. Minnesota State (61); 2. St. Cloud State (55); 3. Minnesota Duluth (54); 4. Notre Dame (51); 5. Northeastern (50); 6. Clarkson (49); 7. Bowling Green (48) and Providence (48).
- 13 – Thirteen sets of brothers have suited up for the Irish, including currents sets of brothers Cal and Cam Burke and Matt and Alex Steeves.
- 8 –With the 2019 Big Ten tournament title, Notre Dame has won eight conference championships in program history, each under Jeff Jackson (three regular-season).
- 7 –With Dennis Gilbert being re-called by Chicago on Oct. 4, seven former Notre Dame players are currently on NHL Rosters: Ian Cole (Colorado Avalanche), Vinnie Hinostroza (Arizona Coyotes), Gilbert (Chicago Blackhawks), Anders Lee (New York Islanders), Kyle Palmieri (New Jersey Devils), Bryan Rust (Pittsburgh Penguins) and Riley Sheahan (Edmonton Oilers). But Cole and Rust are on the IR.
- 6 – With freshman Trevor Janicke joining the program, six father-son combinations have played for the Irish including Trevor and his father, Curtis ‘93, as well as sophomore Graham Slaggert and his father/Associate Head Coach Andy Slaggert ‘89.
- 4 – Notre Dame has an active four-year NCAA tournament appearance streak, including Frozen Four appearances in 2017 and 2018, which is the longest streak in program history and is the fourth-longest active streak in the NCAA (the Irish have also appeared in seven of the last 10 NCAA Tournaments).
- 4 – All four of Notre Dame’s top goal scorers from last season return for the 2019-20 campaign including Cal Burke (12), Michael Graham (12), Colin Theisen (11) and Cam Morrison (11).
- 3 – Cam Morrison has three career overtime goals, which is tied for the active lead across the NCAA. Two of his three overtime winners have come in postseason play, clinching the 2018 Big Ten Tournament championship with a goal against Ohio State and sending the Irish to the 2019 NCAA Northeast Regional Final with the OT winner versus Clarkson.
- .938 – Cale Morris’ .938 career save percentage is tied with Ohio State’s Tommy Nappier for the top mark among returning goaltenders. Morris has made 71 starts to Nappier’s 26.