NOTRE DAME, Ind. — No. 5/4 Notre Dame returns to Arlotta Stadium to take on ACC foe Virginia Tech on Sunday, April 7th. The ACC contest is set for 1p.m. and will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra.
THE VIRGINIA TECH SERIES
- Sunday is the 10th meeting all-time between the Irish and Hokies, with Notre Dame holding an 8-1 record against Virginia Tech.
- The Irish are also 4-0 against Virginia Tech at home.
- Entering the weekend, the Irish find themselves in the top five of a number of statistical categories.
- Notre Dame sits second in the country in save percentage (.542) abnd margin of victory (8.675).
- The Irish also rank third in draw control percentage (65.6%) and scoring defense (6.75).
- Notre Dame leads the ACC with 11.92 caused turnovers per game, which also ranks 11th in the nation.
- Goaltender Samantha Giacolone ranks second in the country and leads the ACC in both goals-against average (6.98) and save percentage (.538).
- Andie Aldave ranks seventh in the nation and second in the ACC with an average of 7.50 draw controls per game.
- Maddie Howe ranks fifth in the country and leads the ACC with a free position percentage of 73.3%.
MIDSEASON ALL AMERICANS
- Sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave was named an Inside Lacrosse First Team Midseason All-American while senior goaltender Samantha Giacolone earned Second Team honors and sophomore attacker Maddie Howe earned Third Team accolades, it was announced Thursday (April 4).
FOUR IRISH ON TEWAARATON WATCH LIST
- Senior goaltender Samantha Giacolone and sophomore attacker Maddie Howe were added to the watch list for the 2019 Tewaaraton Award, the foundation announced on Thursday, March 21.
- Sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave and junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan were named to the initial watch list for the award back on Thursday, February 28.
- On Wednesday (April 3), senior goaltender Samantha Giacolone was named the IWLCA’s National Defensive Player of the Week after a season-best 14 saves in Notre Dame’s 9-7 win over UNC on Sunday, March 31. The performance also earned her ACC Defensive Player of the Week honors.
- On Sunday, March 24 at Syracuse, Samantha Giacolone passed Ellie Hilling to become the program’s all-time leader in saves. She currently has 553 stops in her career.
- Giacolone also enters the contest ranked second in Irish history in goals-against average (9.35), wins (43) and minutes played (3,863).
- Sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave (188) and junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan (155) enter the contest ranked second and fifth in program history in career draw controls.