NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The Fighting Irish women’s golf team will open the spring portion of its 2019-20 schedule at the Westbrook Spring Invitational, which will take place Feb. 23-24 in Peoria, Arizona at the Westbrook Village Golf Club.
Notre Dame’s starting lineup will feature freshmen Lauren Beaudreau (1) and Madelyn Jones (2) as well as junior Abby Heck (3), sophomore Claire Albrecht (4) and senior Mia Ayer (5). In addition, freshman Jessica Meyers will compete as an individual.
“The team has great chemistry this year and I think we’ve cultivated a lot of trust and love,” said Ayer. “We’ve had a great time while pushing each other to be better. Each of us put together some great scores individually in the fall so it’s just a matter of getting synced up this spring. We’re all excited to kick things off at Westbrook this weekend!”
Notre Dame took part in the Westbrook Spring Invitational last year, tying for fifth, led by a second-place finish from Emma Albrecht ’19.
The 2020 Westbrook Spring Invitational
Dates: February 23-24, 2020
Format: 54 holes (36 holes on Sunday, 18 holes on Monday)
Tee Times: 10:30 a.m. ET on Sunday and Monday (shotgun start both days)
Location: Peoria, Arizona
Course (Par/Yardage): Westbrook Village Vistas Course (6,252 yards/Par 72)
Tournament Field (16): College of Charleston, Denver, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Tennessee, UC Davis, UNLV, Wisconsin.
Notre Dame Lineup: Lauren Beaudreau (1), Madelyn Jones (2), Abby Heck (3), Claire Albrecht (4), Mia Ayer (5). Jessica Meyers will compete as an individual.
Live Scoring: https://m.birdiefire.com/tournament/
Career Best Rounds (most recent occurrence listed)
- Claire Albrecht: 68 (first round of the 2019 Jim West Challenge)
- Mia Ayer: 69 (second round of the 2019 Jim West Challenge)
- Lauren Beaudreau: 66 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Abby Heck: 66 (third round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Madelyn Jones: 69 (second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Jessica Meyers: 70 (first round of the 2019 Jim West Challenge)
Noting The 2019 Fall Season …
- The Irish opened the season with a 10th-place finish at the rain shortened Minnesota Invitational (Sept. 9-10).
- Lauren Beaudreau (73-74=147) was the top Fighting Irish finisher at Minnesota, tying for 25th.
- Next, the Irish placed 14th at the Schooner Fall Classic (Sept. 27-29).
- With a final round 66, Abby Heck tied for seventh at the Schooner Fall Classic — her second career top-10 finish.
- Heck’s other top-10 showing came at last season’s 2019 Moon Golf Invitational at the Duran Golf Club when she placed second. Heck’s previous career low round was a 68, also shot at the 2019 Moon Golf Invitational.
- The 66 tied Heck with five other golfers, including freshman Lauren Beaudreau who shot a 66 in the second round of the 2019 Schooner Fall Classic, for the second-lowest round in program history (stroke total).
- Freshman Madelyn Jones shot an even-par 72 to pace the Irish on the final day of the 2019 Illini Women’s Golf Invitational at the Medinah Country Club (Oct. 7-8) and place as the top Notre Dame finisher (t-28th).
- The Irish closed out the fall season with a 10th-place finish at the Jim West Challenge (Oct. 20-21).
- Sophomore Claire Albrect led the Irish as she tied for ninth, posting her first career top-10 finish.
Folds Of Honor
- The Fighting Irish women’s golf program has teamed up with the Folds of Honor Military Tribute Program (FHMTP) for the 2019-20 season.
- The program provides the opportunity for collegiate golf teams to honor a fallen or severely wounded American soldier by selecting a student-athlete to carry a golf bag displaying the name, rank and branch of service of the soldier being honored throughout the year.
- Fighting Irish senior Mia Ayer has had the honor of carrying Notre Dame’s FHMTP golf bag for the 2019-20 season, which honors the memory of Captain Reid Nishizuka ’05.
- Reid Nishizuka, a U.S. Air Force Captain, died in service to his country on April 27, 2013, near Kandahar Air Base, Afghanistan, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Reid was a recipient of 10 Air Medals, two Air Force Commendation Medals, two Air Force Achievement Medals and a Bronze Star for Heroism.
- Reid’s family was honored with a trip to Notre Dame in the fall.
- Through scholarships and other assistance, Folds of Honor gives back to the spouses and children of soldiers killed or disabled in service to our country.
Notre Dame Under Coach Holt
- Head Coach Susan Holt is in her 14th season leading the Fighting Irish in 2019-20.
- Under Holt, Notre Dame made the first NCAA Championship berth in program history (2011), won four Conference Championships and also has made 10 NCAA regional appearances.
- A six-time conference Coach of the Year, Holt has seen 34 of her players earn NGCA/WGCA All-Scholar Team honors, while 46 of her players have earned conference all-academic team honors (BIG EAST and ACC).
- Holt has also helped the team lower its season stroke average by more than 10 strokes since she arrived on the scene in 2006.
- Holt recruited and coached Notre Dame’s first LPGA Tour member, Becca Huffer, who played on the tour during the 2019-20 season and Notre Dame’s career stroke average leader Emma Albrecht ’19.
— ND —