The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team has announced its 2019-20 non-conference schedule that features nine non-conference home games before the first of the year and meetings with 15 teams that advanced to postseason play in 2018-19.
The season-opener for the Irish, an Atlantic Coast Conference road trip to North Carolina, has already been announced and Notre Dame is expected to host an ACC opponent on Saturday, December 7, to push the total to 10 home games before the calendar shifts to 2020. The 2019-20 season is the first season that the ACC is featuring 20 league games.
After the trip to Chapel Hill, the Irish will return to campus to play six consecutive home games from November 9 through November 26. That six-game run includes the 2019 Men Against Breast Cancer Invitational featuring Robert Morris, Howard, Marshall and Toledo.
The December slate of games features the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at Maryland (December 4), welcomes UCLA to Purcell Pavilion (December 14) and includes the annual Crossroads Classic trip to Indianapolis for a meeting with Indiana (December 21).
The complete ACC conference schedule will be released later at a later date. Notre Dame’s 20-game ACC challenge will feature repeat opponents Boston College, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Florida State, Syracuse and Wake Forest. The Irish will welcome Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech as home-only conference opponents and make trips to Clemson, Duke, NC State and Virginia.
The 2019-20 season also features the launch of the ACC Network. For more information and to request your local cable provider to feature the ACC Network on its service, visit getaccn.com.
You can put a deposit down today to secure season tickets for the 2019-20 season. Fans looking to purchase season tickets can also attend a special Select-A-Seat event on Thursday, August 8 at 7 p.m. in Purcell Pavilion. Any fan who purchases a new season ticket at the event will receive two complimentary passes to Club Naimoli good for any 2019 non-conference game (excluding UCLA).
2019-20 Non-Conference Schedule Breakdown
Tuesday, October 29, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
Vs. Capital University (exhibition)
- An NCAA Division III school in Bexley, Ohio, Capital University is coached by sophomore Dane Goodwin’s father, Damon.
- The winningest coach in Capital University history (389-254), Damon Goodwin has led his team to five Ohio Athletic Conference regular-season titles, two OAC tournament titles and five NCAA Tournament appearances – including a second-round bid last season.
- Capital finished 21-8 in 2018-19, and was the OAC Regular-Season Co-Champions with a 14-4 record.
Friday, November 1, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
Vs. Bellarmine (exhibition)
- An NCAA Division II Roman Catholic school in Louisville, Kentucky, Bellarmine won the NCAA DII title in 2011.
- The Irish and Knights have met twice previously, December 3, 1958, (87-55 ND victory) and December 1, 1961, (71-52 ND victory).
- Bellarmine will make the move to Division I and join the Atlantic Sun Conference for the 2020-21 school year.
- Bellarmine finished 28-5, 14-4 in the Great Lakes Valley conference, eventually losing in the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional Final to Southern Indiana.
- This exhibition contest will be held Friday night before the Notre Dame – Virginia Tech football set for Notre Dame Stadium the following day at 2:30 p.m. ET.
- Mike Brey is 38-0 in exhibition games at Notre Dame.
Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
At North Carolina, ACC Network
- The ACC will shift to 20 league games in 2019-20 and will open up the season with a series of games across the conference.
- Notre Dame will make a return trip to Chapel Hill and the Dean Smith Center after a six-point set back at No. 13/15 North Carolina on January 15, 2019.
- John Mooney scored 16 points with 19 rebounds and four blocks in the contest, while Prentiss Hubb added 18 points, four three-point field goals and six assists.
Saturday, November 9, 2019, 12 p.m. ET
Vs. Robert Morris, Men Against Breast Cancer (MABC) Invitational
- The MABC Invitational marks the second consecutive season Notre Dame has served as a host to an in-season tournament at Purcell Pavilion.
- The Irish will be meeting Robert Morris in men’s basketball for the first time.
- RMU finished 18-17 in 2019-19, advancing to the semifinals of the Northeast Conference tournament and participating in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.
- The Colonials defeated Cornell in OT in the first round of the CIT before falling to Presbyterian (also a 2019-20 Notre Dame opponent).
Tuesday, November 12, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
Vs. Howard, MABC Invitational
- The Bison are led by first-year head coach Kenny Blakeney, who was an assistant to Mike Brey at Delaware.
- Former three-time captain at Notre Dame (2010-14) and team Video Coordinator (2017-19) Eric Atkins has joined the Howard University staff as an assistant coach.
- Howard finished 17-17 overall in 2018-19, 10-6 in the MEAC and lost to Coastal Carolina in the College Basketball Invitational.
Friday, November 15, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
Vs. Marshall, MABC Invitational
- The Irish and Thundering Herd renew a series that has been dormant for 106 years. Notre Dame and Marshall met in Huntington, West Virginia, on February 8, 1913, a 27-9 victory for the Irish.
- Marshall finished 23-14 in 2018-19, winning 10 of its last 11 games including the CollegeInsider.com Tournament title with an 90-70 victory over Green Bay.
Monday, November 18, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
- Notre Dame and Presbyterian will be meeting for the first time in men’s basketball.
- The Blue Hose are located in Clinton, South Carolina, and are a member of the Big South Conference.
- Presbyterian earned 20 wins as a Division I team for the first time last season and advanced to the quarterfinal of the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament.
Thursday, November 21, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
Vs. Toledo, MABC Invitational
- Notre Dame and Toledo will be meeting for the sixth time and the first since a 79-71 Notre Dame victory in the 1979 NCAA Tournament at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis.
- The Rockets will be making their first appearance in Purcell Pavilion, the previous Toledo visit to campus occurred in The Fieldhouse in 1965 (a 113-65 Notre Dame victory).
- Toledo finished 25-8 in 2018-19, 13-5 in the Mid-American Conference and advanced to the National Invitation Tournament, where they lost to Xavier in the first round.
Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
Vs. Fairleigh Dickinson
- The Irish and Knights will be meeting for the second time following Notre Dame’s 75-57 victory on December 6, 2014, at Purcell Pavilion.
- Located in Hackensack, New Jersey, Fairleigh Dickinson is a member of the Northeast Conference.
- FDU finished 21-14 in 2018-19, 12-6 in the Northeast Conference and won the conference tournament, earning a spot in the NCAA tournament. The Knights defeated Prairie View A&M 82-76 in the NCAA First Four before falling to No. 1 seed Gonzaga.
Wednesday, December 4, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
At Maryland, ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- The Irish and Terrapins will be meeting for the 21st time and the first time since 2014, with Notre Dame leading the all-time series 11-9.
- The last meeting, a 74-66 Maryland win in 2014, marked the lone contest between Notre Dame and Maryland as ACC opponents.
- Mike Brey is 2-2 against Maryland, with victories over ranked Terrapin teams in 2002 and 2006.
- Maryland finished 23-11 and 13-7 in the Big Ten in 2018-19, advancing to the NCAA tournament and defeating Belmont in the first round before falling to No. 3 seed LSU.
- Notre Dame is 4-2 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and will face a new opponent for the first time after completing home and home series in the event with Michigan State, Iowa and Illinois.
Tuesday, December 10, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
Vs. Detroit Mercy
- The Irish and Titans renew one of the most prolific series in Notre Dame men’s basketball history this season, as the two teams will meet for the 54th time in December. Notre Dame leads the all-time series 41-12.
- This season will mark the first meeting since 2011 when a 59-53 Notre Dame win broke a two-game win streak in the series for Detroit Mercy (in 1992 and 1993).
- Notre Dame and Detroit Mercy met every season, including some campaigns with home-and-home two-game series, from 1957 through 1971.
- Notre Dame won the first 24 meetings between the two teams from 1912 through 1953 before the Titans broke through for a 77-71 win on December 1, 1955, in Detroit.
- The Titans finished 11-20 and 8-10 in the Horizon League in 2018-19.
Saturday, December 14, 2019, 7 p.m. ET
- One of the legendary basketball rivalries in the country returns to Purcell Pavilion with the 50th meeting between Notre Dame and UCLA.
- The Bruins lead the all-time series 29-20, including a last-second buzzer-beating win in Pauley Pavilion last season.
- This season will mark UCLA’s first trip to Purcell Pavilion since 2009, an 84-73 Notre Dame win.
- The Irish are 12-11 all-time against UCLA at Purcell Pavilion.
- UCLA finished 17-16 last season and 9-9 in the Pac-12.
- First-year coach Mick Cronin will be in his first year with UCLA. Mike Brey is 7-3 all-time against Cronin, all 10 of those meetings coming as BIG EAST Conference members.
Saturday, December 21, 2019, 2 p.m. ET
Vs. Indiana, Crossroads Classic, Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana
- The Irish head back to the Crossroads Classic to face Indiana just before Christmas, in what will be the latest date played in December for the yearly event.
- Notre Dame is 4-4 all-time in the event, coming off an 88-80 win over Purdue last year.
- Notre Dame and Indiana will be meeting for the 73rd time, with the Hoosiers leading the all-time series 50-22. The Irish are 1-3 against Indiana in the Crossroads Classic.
Sunday, December 29, 2 p.m. ET
Vs. Alabama A&M
- Notre Dame will wrap up non-conference play against the Bulldogs of Alabama A&M, the first meeting in men’s basketball between the two schools.
- Alabama A&M finished 5-27 in 2018-19 and 4-14 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.