Nov. 4, 2008
Jeff Wood is a three-time all-BIG EAST selection in the 800 free relay, 200 medley relay and the 400 medley relay. The Fairport, N.Y. native currently holds the Notre Dame in the 100 back and was part of three record-setting relay teams in the 400 free, 800 free and 400 medley relays.
1. Do you have any nicknames?
Worm – after a poker player
2. If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Phil Helmuth. He’s one of the most accomplished poker players and one of my favorite players. I think we have similar personalities and it would be an interesting time.
3. What is your cell phone ring right now?
For texts, it is the speech from the movie “The Boondock Saints”. For calls, it is a Goo Goo Dolls song.
4. Do you have any pre-race rituals or superstitions?
I usually say a prayer. My brother passed away, so I’ll give him a shout out before my race.
5. When you were little, who was your favorite cartoon character?
Probably Doug Funny from the show “Doug”.
6. What is the hardest thing about being a student-athlete?
Finding balance between athletics and academics. In class you are competing against students who don’t have to balance 20 or more hours of athletic commitments each week like you do. Also, it’s tough to get motivated to study when you are tired.
7. What’s the coolest thing you had in your bedroom growing up?
An inspirational poster of Muhammad Ali
8. What’s your worst habit?
Biting my nails
9. Where is your favorite place at Notre Dame?
Out by the lakes. It’s a really good, quiet place to go if you’re stressed.
10. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would you eat?
Pizza from a place at home in New York.
11. Where do you want to be in ten years?
I want to be financially stable, and I want to have a wife and kids.
12. What song do you love to listen to, but are embarrassed to admit it?
“I’m Gonna Be Somebody” by Travis Tritt.
13. What’s the most notable thing about your hometown?
I’m from Fairport, NY. The Erie Canal goes through my town and for the past two years, it has ranked as one of the top places to live.
14. Growing up swimming, I always pretended to be…
Gary Hall. I always thought he was awesome because he was known for doing his own thing.
15. If you had your own energy drink, what would it be called?
16. What is your favorite memory with your Irish teammates?
Winning the Big East last year because the year before we had lost.
17. What would be your dream job?
Coaching a prestigious college swim team or being a professional poker player
18. If a movie was made about your life, what would the title be and who would play you?
“Raising the Stakes” starring Matt Damon
19. If you could trade places with Coach Welsh for a day, what would you do?
In the morning I would call everyone on the team and give everyone a “Good Morning Irish.” Then, I would cancel practice and take the team out to Ruth’s Chris for dinner.
20. What does being a part of the Fighting Irish mean to you?
It means a lot. There is a big sense of camaraderie and this is the closest group of guys I have been on a team with. Being able to represent Notre Dame every meet is a great feeling. We have a sense of pride representing Notre Dame that other teams don’t have.