March 12, 2009
Junior catcher Alexia Clay returned to her home state in 2008 after playing one season with the Tennessee Lady Vols. After sitting out last season as a redshirt sophomore, the Rochester, Ind., native has seen action in 10 games in 2009 for the Irish. Clay has no errors behind the plate and has added two RBI for Notre Dame.
1. If you could trade places with Coach Gumpf for a day, what would you do?
I’d have team practice be dodge ball.
2. When you were little, who was your favorite cartoon character?
Raphael from the Ninja Turtles
3. If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Leonardo da Vinci, because he knows everything.
4. What do you miss the most about being away from home?
There’s no traffic.
5. If you were stranded on an island, what three things would you want to have with you?
A 40-pack of gel pens, lots of paper, and sunglasses.
6. What is your most embarrassing moment on the field?
I did a flip over first base at a national qualifier in 2005.
7. What’s your theme song?
“Man Eater” by Nelly Furtado.
8. Growing up playing softball, I always pretended to be …
9. What is your favorite memory with your Irish teammates?
Waking up on the bus in Italy to these words: “Bon Journo. Wake up girls. 20 minutes.”
10. What television show would you like to make a cameo on?
11. Where do you want to be in 10 years?
In an Aston Martin in Las Vegas
12. Do you have any pre-game rituals/superstitions?
I chew gum every game.
13. If a movie was made about your life, what would the title be and who would play you?
It would be called “Walk in My Shoes” and Michelle Williams would play me.
14. Do you have any nicknames?
Tetris and Lex
15. What artist takes up most of your iPod/music player?
Death Cab for Cutie
16. Where is your favorite place at Notre Dame?
South Quad in the fall.
17. What’s the most notable thing about your hometown?
Rochester, Indiana has a two-screen movie theater.
18. Other than the Irish, what is your favorite sports team?
I really liked the golfer Payne Stewart while he was still alive.
19. What would be your dream job?
Being an international spy
20. What does being part of the Fighting Irish mean to you?
Being part of a tradition