April 13, 2002

Box Score

The 18th-ranked Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team saw its three-game win streak snapped this afternoon as the Irish dropped an 11-8 decision to Army at Shea Stadium.

Notre Dame, which was playing its fourth consecutive road game, lost to the Cadets for the first time in four meetings. With the loss, the Irish fell to 4-6 overall, while Army improved to 6-4.

Notre Dame’s leading scorer, sophomore Dan Berger (Phoenix, Md.) tied his career best by tallying a game-high four goals in the contest. Berger, who had just one goal last season, leads the Irish with 21 goals this season. He has now scored at least one goal in all 10 games.

The Irish jumped out to an early 2-0 less than three minutes into the contest on goals by Owen Asplundh (Bryn Athyn, Pa.) and Travis Wells (Severna Park, Md.). The Cadets came back with three consecutive scores from Jeff Bryan and two from Chris Woods as Army led 3-2 after the first period.

Senior midfield John Flandina (West Islip, N.Y.) tied the game at 3-3 1:30 into the second period. Notre Dame regained the lead on Devin Ryan’s (Kensington, Md.) unassisted goal at the 8:21 mark. Beger’s second goal of the game, off of Wells’ feed, pushed the Irish advantage to 5-3 with the 6:34 remaining before halftime, but that would be Notre Dame’s last lead of the game.

Following Berger’s goal, Army scored eight of the next nine goals in the contest, including give five straight to end the second quarter in a span of 5:13. Colin Burke ended Notre Dame’s three-goal spurt with an unassisted score, fillowed by Bryan’s second goal of the game tie the contest at 5-5. Jimmy Vlahakis gave the Cadets the lead for good with his only score of the game of an assist from Bryan. Bryan and Tim Pearson netted the final two goals of the quarter for the Cadets in the last 1:02 as Army led 8-5 at the intermission.

Berger’s second goal of the game off an assist from freshman Chris Richez (Freeport, N.Y.) cut the Irish deficit to 8-6 5:04 into the third quarter. That score would be Notre Dame’s only goal of the period. Army responded with three unanswered goal in the third quarter and led 11-6 following 45 minutes of action.

Notre Dame held the Cadets scoreless in the final period, but could manage just two scores of its own, both by Berger. Berger’s final tally of the game came with 9:12 remaining in the contest.

Notre Dame outshot Army 36-29 in the game, but the Irish won just four of 22 faceoffs.

Junior Nick Antol (Baldwin, Md.) started his eighth straight game and played 45 minutes (the first three quarters). He allowed all 11 goals and finished with eight saves. Sophomore Stewart Crosland (Bethesda, Md.) played the entire fourth quarter and finished with one save. Cadet goalie Dominik Nogic made 14 saves while playing all 60 minutes of the contest.

Notre Dame returns home home to Moose Krause Stadium for the first time since March 23 next Sunday, April 21 when the Irish play host to Great Western Lacrosse League rival Fairfield 1:00 p.m.