WHO: #18 Notre Dame (4-5-1, 3-4-1-0-1-1 B1G) vs. RV Arizona State (4-6-2)
WHEN: Saturday, January – 6:30 p.m. ET | Sunday, January 10 – 5 p.m. ET
WHERE: Compton Family Ice Arena
WATCH: Saturday – NHL Network & NBCSports.com | Sunday – NHL Network & NBCSports.com
LISTEN: 94.3 FM | UND.com
GAME NOTES (PDF)
- The Fighting Irish open the second phase of their 2020-21 schedule with a home non-conference series versus Arizona State.
- It will mark Notre Dame’s final non-conference games of the season until the playoffs and should games remain tied after regulation, this weekend’s series will only feature 3-on-3 overtime (no B1G shootouts).
- While it will be the first post-break games for the Irish, Arizona State dropped a twogame series at undefeated Minnesota on Jan. 3 (L, 4-1) and Jan. 4 (L, 6-4).
- Freshman forward Landon Slaggert won gold with Team USA at the IIHF World Junior Championship on Tuesday night as the Americans downed Canada 2-0 in the championship game.
- Alex Steeves (4-1-5) carries a five-game point streak into the series, while Graham Slaggert (2-3-5) has a four-game point streak.
- Colin Theisen and Matt Hellickson enter the Arizona State series with matching 127-consecutive games played streaks (each game of their Irish careers).
- Freshman defenseman Jake Boltmann has joined the Irish for the second semester.
- Notre Dame is currently #18 in the USCHO Poll and is receiving votes in the USA Today/ USA Hockey Magazine Coaches Poll.
THE NOTRE DAME-ARIZONA STATE SERIES
- The Irish and Sun Devils will be meeting for second weekend series of the 2020-21 season and just their third weekend series all-time.
- The two teams met last month (Dec. 3-4) inside Compton Family Ice Arena, with the Sun Devils earning a 6-3 victory in game one before Notre Dame earned a 5-4 comeback win in game two.
- The Irish rallied from a 4-2 third-period deficit to earn that 5-4 victory in game two.
- Third-period goals by Jake Pivonka, Solag Bakich and then Nick Leivermann with five seconds left spearheaded the comeback for Notre Dame.
- Leivermann’s goal with five seconds left marked the first game-winning goal of his career and was the latest third-period, game-winning goal in program history.
- It marked the first time Notre Dame erased a two-goal, third period deficit to win since a 5-4 win over Penn State on March 1, 2019.
SLAGGERT GOLDEN WITH TEAM USA
- Freshman forward Landon Slaggert and Team USA won the gold medal with a 2-0 victory over Canada at the 2021 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship on Tuesday night (Jan. 5) in the gold-medal game at Rogers Place.
- Slaggert skated in all seven games for the U.S.and became the first Fighting Irish player to medal at the event since 2018 when current Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Andrew Peeke helped the U.S. secure the bronze in Buffalo in 2018.
- Notre Dame’s other World Junior Championship medalists include Anders Bjork (bronze in 2016), Mario Lucia (gold in 2013), Kyle Palmieri (gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011), Kyle Lawson (bronze in 2007) and Ben Simon (silver in 1997).
- Including Slaggert, 23 Notre Dame players have now taken part in the IIHF World Junior Championships.
- Slaggert played in six games for the Irish during the first semester before joining up with Team USA.