WHO: #16/13 Notre Dame (2-2-0, 2-2-0-0-0-0 B1G) vs. Arizona State (2-3-1)
WHEN: Thursday, December 3 – 7 p.m. ET | Friday, December 4 – 7 p.m. ET
WHERE: Compton Family Ice Arena
WATCH: Friday – NHL Network & NBCSports.com | Friday – NBCSN & NBCSports.com
LISTEN: 94.3 FM | UND.com
GAME NOTES (PDF)
- The Fighting Irish return home for a non-conference series against Arizona State (Dec. 3-4) and begin a six-game homestand to close out the first portion of their 2020-21 schedule.
- Last weekend, Notre Dame earned a road sweep over #3/4 Michigan with 3-2 and 2-1 victories inside Yost Ice Arena.
- In game one against the Wolverines, captain Nate Clurman and freshman Grant Silianoff scored their first collegiate goals to help the Irish earn a 3-2 win.
- Spencer Stastney and Alex Steeves each netted late third-period markers in game two to give the Irish a 2-1 victory, and a program-best fifth consecutive win at Yost.
- Ryan Bischel stopped 55 of 58 shots last weekend against the Wolverines to earn the first two road victories of his Irish career.
- Bischel’s efforts last weekend at Michigan earned him Big Ten First Star of the Week honors (Dec. 1).
- Prior to last weekend, Notre Dame’s last sweep of a top-10 opponent was Nov. 8-9, 2019 vs. #8/9 Ohio State.
- Following last weekend’s sweep of Michigan, the Irish jumped to #13 in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Coaches Poll and #16 in the USCHO poll.
THE NOTRE DAME-ARIZONA STATE SERIES
- The Irish and Sun Devils will be meeting for just their second weekend series all-time.
- Notre Dame and Arizona State opened the 2016-17 campaign with a pair of matchups inside Compton Family Ice Arena on October 7-8, 2016.
- The Irish took both contests by scores of 9-2 and 4-2.
- In that 9-2 Irish victory, Notre Dame tallied six power-play markers as Arizona State racked up 116 penalty minutes in the contest.
- The 182 combined penalty minutes by the two teams in the October 7, 2016 game ranks 17th in single-game history (Men’s NCAA DI).
- Former Irish All-American and Mike Richter Award recipient Cale Morris saw his first game action in a Notre Dame uniform in that victory when entered in relief of Cal Petersen in the third period.
- Another Irish All-American and Hobey Baker Finalist, Anders Bjork, netted two goals in each of those victories and collected seven points in the weekend sweep.
SLAGGERT EARNS TEAM USA CAMP SPOT
- Earlier this week, freshman forward Landon Slaggert was named to USA Hockey’s roster for its upcoming camp ahead of the 2021 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship.
- 29 players have been invited to Team USA’s camp, which will begin on Dec. 6 in Plymouth, Michigan.
- Twenty-five players will move on to comprise the final roster for the U.S. National Junior Team, which is tentatively scheduled to be announced on Dec. 13.
- The 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship will take place from Dec. 25, 2020, through Jan. 5, 2021, in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the tournament will be played with all 10 teams in a competition bubble and no spectators allowed at Rogers Place. Team USA opens play on Dec. 25 versus Russia.
- Slaggert, who earlier this fall was invited to Team USA’s National Junior Team Evaluation Camp on Oct. 8-13, has played in all four of Notre Dame’s games this season.
- He registered his first career point with an assist on Nate Clurman’s goal in Notre Dame’s 3-2 win at third-ranked Michigan on Nov. 27.