WHO: #15 Notre Dame (3-3-0, 2-2-0-0-0-0 B1G) vs. #14/RV Ohio State (2-4-0, 2-4-0-0-1-0 B1G)
WHEN: Saturday, December 12 – 7 p.m. ET | Sunday, December 13 – 5 p.m. ET
WHERE: Compton Family Ice Arena
WATCH: Saturday & Sunday – NBCSN & NBCSports.com
LISTEN: 94.3 FM | UND.com
GAME NOTES (PDF)
- The Fighting Irish continue their six-game homestand and return to conference play with a weekend series against #14/RV Ohio State (Dec. 12-13).
- This is the penultimate series for Notre Dame in its first portion of the 2020-21 schedule.
- The Irish enter the weekend having won three of their last four contests after splitting a pair of contests last weekend against #20 Arizona State.
- In game two against the Sun Devils, the Irish rallied from a 4-2 third-period deficit to earn a 5-4 victory.
- Third-period goals by Jake Pivonka, Solag Bakich and then Nick Leivermann with five seconds left spearheaded the comeback for Notre Dame.
- Leivermann’s goal with five seconds left marked the first game-winning goal of his career and was the latest third-period, game-winning goal in program history.
- It marked the first time Notre Dame erased a two-goal, third period deficit to win since a 5-4 win over Penn State on March 1, 2019.
- Notre Dame enters the weekend at #15 in both the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Coaches Poll and USCHO poll.
THE NOTRE DAME-OHIO STATE SERIES
- Ohio State owns a 38-37-11 edge in the all-time series, but the Irish own a 20-16-4 mark in contest’s played at Notre Dame.
- Notre Dame went 2-1-1 against the Buckeyes a season ago, including a home sweep of Ohio State on Nov. 8-9, 2019 inside Compton Family Ice Arena.
- In that home sweep over then #8 Ohio State, the Irish took game one in overtime, 3-2, before earning a 2-1 victory in game two.
- Pierce Crawford provided the OT game winner in game one while then-freshman Solag Bakich scored his first career goal in that contest.
- The Irish have won three straight home games against Ohio State, all one-goal contests, dating back to Nov. 4, 2018.
- In their last weekend series, which took place at Ohio State on Jan. 17-28, 2020, the teams played to a 4-4 tie before the Buckeyes earned a 2-1 victory in game two.
- In their inaugural season in the Big Ten (2017-18), the Irish and Buckeyes met five times, with Notre Dame skating away with a 4-1-0 record including a 3-2 overtime victory in the 2018 Big Ten Championship game courtesy of a Cam Morrison game winner.
- Including that 2018 Big Ten Championship game, seven of the last nine matchups between Notre Dame and Ohio State have been one-goal games (including a 4-4 tie on Jan. 17, 2020).
SLAGGERT AT TEAM USA CAMP
- Freshman forward Landon Slaggert was named to USA Hockey’s roster for its training camp ahead of the 2021 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship.
- The camp began this past Sunday (Dec. 6) at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth, Michigan, and features 29 players vying for a spot on Team USA’s World Juniors roster.
- Twenty-five players will move on to comprise the final roster for the U.S. National Junior Team, which is tentatively scheduled to be announced on Dec. 13.
- The 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship will take place from Dec. 25, 2020, through Jan. 5, 2021, in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Slaggert, who earlier this fall was invited to Team USA’s National Junior Team Evaluation Camp on Oct. 8-13, played in all six of Notre Dame’s games to date before heading to the U.S. camp.
- He scored his first career goal last Saturday (Dec. 4) in the first period of Notre Dame’s 5-4 comeback win over Arizona State.