Nov. 1, 2017 | Game Notes
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – After spending the entire month of October protecting home ice at the Compton Family Ice Arena, the 10th-ranked University of Notre Dame hockey team will begin November on the road when the Irish visit No. 16/RV Ohio State for a two-game series at Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio.
The series will also mark Notre Dame’s first as an affiliate member of the Big Ten Conference. The Irish and Buckeyes were previously concurrent members of the CCHA from 1981-83 and 1992-2013.
Games 9 & 10
Matchup: Notre Dame at Ohio State
Date: Friday, Nov. 3 | Saturday, Nov. 4
Time: 7 p.m. ET (both games)
Site: Columbus, Ohio
Arena: Value City Arena
Television: Big Ten Network (Friday only)
Play-By-Play: Fred Pletsch
Analyst: Paul Caponigri
Live Streaming: BTN2Go – Friday Stream | Saturday Stream
Live Radio | Audio: WZOC 94.3 FM & WatchND
Play-by-Play: Myles McQuinn
Live Stats: | Live Updates:@NDHockey
Series History: OSU leads 33-30-10 (73 games)
Tickets: Buy Now
Notes To Know
- Jake Evans enters the weekend leading the country in points (15) and assists (12) and after posting seven assists in last week’s two-game series against Omaha, he was named the Big Ten’s Third Star of the Week.
- In addition to leading the country in points and assists, Evans also ranks first in the country in faceoffs won (126), while his 1.50 assists per game average ranks third.
- On the Ohio State side, sophomore forward Tanner Laczynski was named the Big Ten’s Second Star after registering five points (2-3-5) in the Buckeyes’ weekend sweep of Robert Morris.
- Colin Theisen has a career-long four-game point streak (2-3-5), while Jordan Gross has a three-game point streak (2-3-5).
- Cal Burke (1-2-3), Jake Evans (0-7-7) and Bobby Nardella (1-3-4) each have two-game point streaks.
- Gross (4-7-11) and Nardella (2-8-10) rank first and tied for second, respectively, nationally in points scored by defensemen. They have each recorded at least one point in seven of Notre Dame’s first eight games to start the season.
- Gross has 38 shots on goal to lead all defensemen (second overall), while his 4.75 shots on goal per game average also leads defensemen (ninth overall).
- Notre Dame Associate Head Coach Paul Pooley is a 1984 graduate of Ohio State where he earned All-American honors and graduated as the program’s all-time leader in goals (114), assists (156) and points (270).
- Pooley, who wore No. 22, became the first Ohio State hockey player to have his number retired on November 4, 2006 during a game between Notre Dame and Ohio State.
- Pooley’s nephew, Austin Pooley, is a freshman forward with the Buckeyes who has a goal in eight games so far this season.
Series Quick Hits
- Former CCHA foes, Notre Dame and Ohio State have met 73 times with the Buckeyes holding a slight 33-30-10 series advantage. At Ohio State, the Buckeyes lead the series 17-14-6.
- Dating back to 2010-11, the teams have played 10 times with Notre Dame holding a 5-4-1 record over those 10 games.
- The teams last played on Nov. 29, 2014, in the consolation game of the 2014 Shillelagh Tournament at the Compton Family Ice Arena. Ohio State won 5-1 on that day, with Steven Fogarty scoring the lone Irish goal. Current Irish players Jordan Gross, Dawson Cook, Jake Evans, Justin Wade and Luke Ripley each played in that contest.
- Notre Dame’s most recent win over the Buckeyes came on March 23, 2013 when the Irish downed the Buckeyes 3-1 in the CCHA Semifinals at the Joe Louis Arena (Notre Dame went on to defeat Michigan 3-1 in the championship game to claim the final CCHA title). Peter Schneider, T.J. Tynan and Jeff Costello accounted for Notre Dame’s goals in the win.